GT INDEPENDENT STUDY ORIENTATION
Mandatory for members of 2017 Independent Study Class
Parents and interested persons are welcome!
Tuesday, May 31, 6:00 Franklin Library
Topics: Choosing your project, finding a community mentor, resources available for the program, class schedule. For more info, see Ms. Juarez, Room W 209
The GT Independent Study Class is returning to Franklin with 62 students enrolled.
Students explore areas of interest through an in-depth investigation and complete an advanced-level independent study project. Independent study projects are professional quality, and guided by the classroom teacher and a mentor who is an expert in the field of study. (This course follows the TEA Student Performance Standards Project guidelines.)
EPISD GT Parent Advisory meeting May 24, 5:30 -7:00, EPISD Hornedo Middle School Cafeteria
All interested parents are welcome!
Pre AP and AP classes are the main segment of the GT Program in EPISD. Why take AP Classes?
- Over 2600 colleges recognize AP scores.
- “Strength of Schedule” is the first check on college apps.
- AP and PreAP points boost GPA and class rank.
- It’s smart to save money and time by getting college credit now.
- The AP discussions are fun & interesting.
- Never too early to learn to think and act like a college student.
- GATS enjoy the challenge!
GAT SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES
- UTEP ExcITES Summer Institute by the UTEP College of Engineeringhttp://excites.utep.edu/
- UTEP Pathways to Science high school camps-exciting STEM topics http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/institution.aspx?sort=Institution&subsort=UTexasElPaso#High%20School%20Students
- UTEP High School Law Camp, June 13-July 1 http://academics.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=67717
- Texas Tech Paul Foster School of Medicine Summer Medical Camp- field trips, guest speakers, labs, resume work. email@example.com
- Texas Tech CoAMP Architecture Academy, June 20-July 1 in El Paso scholarships available
firstname.lastname@example.org 806.834-7372 apps in Counseling Center
- NMSU Summer Camps for high school Las Cruces NM
- NYU Precollege-earn college credit and get a jump on college choices and admission. STEM, Fine Arts, Writing, Professional Studies. email@example.com NYU.EDU/PRECOLLEGE
- Duke University-“Camp” learning community. Enrichment for academically motivated youth with co-curricular social and recreational activities. www.learnmore.duke.edu/youth. firstname.lastname@example.org or giving us a call at (919) 684-2827
- NASA Space Camps www.spacecamp.com 1 800-63-SPACE (1-800-637-7223) or 256-837-3400
Programs to research for the future:
- Bluebonnet Girls State http://girls-state.org/
- Texas Boy State http://texasboystate.com
- 3.Startheregoplaces.com for future CPAs
- Leadership program for the future HOBY
- Camp RYLA, Rotary leadership camp sponsored by Rotary Club of El Paso